When Is the Best Time
This Nature Reserve at the lakes "Krickenbecker Seen - De Wittsee" is a popular hiking destination always connected with water. It is pretty busy here during the weekends. It is also well-known across the borders for spotting the great crested grebe "Haubentaucher" from May to July.
From May until July breeding water-birds and their chicks can be spotted relatively close. The black coots and the great crested grebe with their chicks are best spotted in July. Usually, the great crested grebe is very shy and don't let you come closer than 100 m. This area is one of the very few places where birders may spot them in a distance of a few meters only.
- Link Google Maps for the nearest parking at an ancient mill "Leuther Mühle"
- Another huge parking area next to the lake "De Wittsee" Link Google Maps.
- Krickenbecker Seen; several huge lakes full of water birds. The information center is worth a visit and restrooms are available. Google Maps Link
The B&B Hombergen101 is beautifully located close to the Krickenbecker Lakes and Information Center.
Best Months to Visit
Location and Tips
The Common Bittern project is an area which was renatured by the Biological Institution Krickenbecker Lakes in 2009. The 10-ha pocket of land got flooded by the river Nette. Nowadays it’s a habitat for water birds. It’s easy to observe them either from the footpaths along the stream or from the bird hide. All birds are pictured on a huge board to identify each of them. In July it’s easy to spot the black coots and the great crested grebe with their chicks. Hiking maps can be purchased at the information center.
It is not only an outstanding destination for birders, but also hikers, and families with children. Kids can also see water crabs and mussels in the crystal clear water.
- Binocular and Zoom Camera
- Water and a snack, there is just one kiosk at the minigolf